[mythtv-users] Migrating RAID

Graham Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Thu Nov 1 22:56:35 UTC 2007

You can... and it works pretty well.... I have grown a RAID5 array from 5 x
320GB disks to 9 of them... took me about 18 hours when I added a drive to
resize it... but the array (and file system) is live all the time... Then
you can expand your ext3fs on top of that too (again, live)... There are
some tunable parameters to speed up the rebuild process, at the expense of
CPU cycles.

Growing a RAID6 array is somewhat newer into the code... Which is why I
think I am going to build my first RAID6 array with as many disks as I can.

Graham