[mythtv-users] Move to LiveTv group instead of deleting

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Nov 1 23:13:14 UTC 2007

On Nov 1, 2007, at 3:13 PM, Michael Rice wrote:

> On 11/1/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> How about not putting something in there unless you want and expect
>> it
>> to be gone immediately? Deleted group is meant as a place to recover
>> something immediately after you realize you deleted it. Not a place
>> store something in hopes you will get it back at a later time.
>
> Here is the scenario that doesn't make sense to me:
>
> 1) Watch show.  Delete, it goes into the deleted group.
> 2) Another recording starts so show I just 'Deleted' is auto-expired.
> 3) Look in Deleted group and show I just deleted is gone, but there
> are 100Gb of old recordings there including lots of 3 month old hockey
> games...
>
> Why go to all the trouble to use "Deleted" if your deleted show lasts
> only 1 hour?  It makes more sense to actually expire the old stuff.
> The feature is then more likely to be useful to someone who actually
> wants a recording back.

I don't know what the code looks like specifically, but I imagine the
programs expires according to how they would normally auto-expire,
just bumped up in priority above stuff not in the deleted group. If
that's not the case, it's probably a bug and needs to be addressed by
someone who is bothered by the behavior.

-Brad