[mythtv-users] wanted a low bandwidth stream from myth

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 2 00:17:29 UTC 2007

We have an event here in Oz that "stops the nation" - Melbourne Cup.
Unfortunately, I will be at work in a building where there is no way to
get a television signal (cut into a hillside with ground & concrete
between us and the transmitter :(

I want to try and see if I can use myth through my home adsl connection
to stream a relatively low bandwidth signal via the network.  I can
already access the mythbox via an openvpn connection through the
firewall, and can use mythfrontend and mythtv ok.  But most SD programs
have too much bandwidth to successfully upload through the adsl (which
runs at about 768kbs up, 6mbs down)

How can I go about live transcoding down to a lower resolution, and then
streaming from myth?  Is it even possible?

BillK