[mythtv-users] drifting audio synch, saa 7134

Sean Goodpasture goofygrin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:02:18 UTC 2007

On 11/2/07, Alan Calvert <cal at graggrag.com> wrote:

> Having put together a modest little SD system for the grandkids, largely
> from the spare parts pile, there's this one little problem. Audio
> gradually
> drifts out of synch, -200ms over ten minutes or so. I might have imagined
> it,
> but I swear it drifted back toward centre over a further period.
>
> I've searched on a few things, but can't establish if this is a known
> weakness of v4l in general, or more likely the saa7134 in particular.
>
> I'd love to know why it's happening, so any suggestions are welcome.
>
> cheers.

Not a v4l expert at all, but since this is a framegrabber, could it be that
the CPU is overwhelmed with all the processing?  Have you tried tweaking the
parameters for capture (changing the encoding types, not encoding the audio,
etc.).  I know that on my card that uses the saa7134, I've had some issues
with the audio when recording SD (mostly with it dropping completely) and
then sometimes the close captioning gets jacked (which is really bad when
the audio drops).