[mythtv-users] Question about NAS's

coffee177 coffee177 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 2 13:35:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 08:27 -0400, David Frascone wrote:

> On 11/1/07, Nick Crabtree <nickcrabtree at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>         I've got an NSLU2 (aka slug) - the server was cheaper than the
>         attached 320Gb usb disk. I didn't like the built-in firmware
>         and installed Debian - it runs as a backup server actively
>         pulling data. It is connected to my Linux boxes by NFS and my
>         Windows ones by CIFS and is very stable. See
>         http://www.nslu2-linux.org/. Caveat - I don't use it for
>         mythtv storage (i've got enough local disk) YMMV.
>
> While that looks REALLY cool, I worry about the 100mbit network
> connection, and USB connection.  I think it may have trouble doing
> myth -- but -- it also may blow away my 500Mb NAS.  So -- it'll
> address half my problem.   Besides -- it's REALLY cool!
>
> -Dave

Just to chime in here real quickly,

I have a fileserver setup running 4 320 gig drives in a raid5 software
config and a 100mb nic connection. It sits in the basement and my mythtv
sits up stairs by the tv. No problems what so ever with 100 mb. More
than enough for SD. NFS share to the /var/mythvideo directory.

coffee