[mythtv-users] Restarting the backend from the frontend

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:49:26 UTC 2007

On 11/2/07, shacky <shacky83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Sometimes my Mythbackend hangs and I need to restart it to use MythTV.
> I wrote a thread about my problem but I haven't solved it yet.
> Is there any way to create a new button in mythfrontend that allows me
> to restart the backend with a ssh command?
>
> Thank you very much!
> Bye.

I tried doing this exact same thing a while ago.  I was going on a five week
business trip and I wanted an easy way for users to restart the mythbackend
process from the frontend computer (seperate back & frontends).  But I
couldn't figure out a secure way to run a script as root through ssh and I
gave up.  Both my back and frontends run ubuntu so there is no dedicated
root account.  It would probably be easier if you have a dedicated root
account.