[mythtv-users] Question about NAS's

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Fri Nov 2 13:54:05 UTC 2007

I have two HD tuners, and plan on getting two more.  And, I have 4 SD
tuners.  I think bandwidth is a legitimate concern for me :)

Right now I have about 350Gb in 4 scsi drives on a raid controller.  I have
the controller configured to not raid the disks, and return individual
volumes, so that MythTV can manage it's own storage.

Since scsi disks are expensive, I was hoping to move to NAS's.  But -- maybe
the better approach is to start replacing the scsi disks . . not sure . .
I'm a cheap bastage.

-Dave

On 11/2/07, coffee177 <coffee177 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 08:27 -0400, David Frascone wrote:
> >

> > On 11/1/07, Nick Crabtree <nickcrabtree at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >         I've got an NSLU2 (aka slug) - the server was cheaper than the
> >         attached 320Gb usb disk. I didn't like the built-in firmware
> >         and installed Debian - it runs as a backup server actively
> >         pulling data. It is connected to my Linux boxes by NFS and my
> >         Windows ones by CIFS and is very stable. See
> >         http://www.nslu2-linux.org/. Caveat - I don't use it for
> >         mythtv storage (i've got enough local disk) YMMV.
> >
> > While that looks REALLY cool, I worry about the 100mbit network
> > connection, and USB connection.  I think it may have trouble doing
> > myth -- but -- it also may blow away my 500Mb NAS.  So -- it'll
> > address half my problem.   Besides -- it's REALLY cool!
> >
> > -Dave
>

> Just to chime in here real quickly,
>
> I have a fileserver setup running 4 320 gig drives in a raid5 software
> config and a 100mb nic connection. It sits in the basement and my mythtv
> sits up stairs by the tv. No problems what so ever with 100 mb. More
> than enough for SD. NFS share to the /var/mythvideo directory.
>
> coffee

David Frascone

Oxymoron: Safe Sex.