[mythtv-users] Question about NAS's

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Nov 2 14:18:29 UTC 2007

David Frascone wrote:

> On 11/1/07, *Nick Crabtree* <nickcrabtree at gmail.com
> <mailto:nickcrabtree at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I've got an NSLU2 (aka slug) - the server was cheaper than the
>     attached 320Gb usb disk. I didn't like the built-in firmware and
>     installed Debian - it runs as a backup server actively pulling data.
>     It is connected to my Linux boxes by NFS and my Windows ones by CIFS
>     and is very stable. See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/. Caveat - I
>     don't use it for mythtv storage (i've got enough local disk) YMMV.
>

> While that looks REALLY cool, I worry about the 100mbit network
> connection, and USB connection.  I think it may have trouble doing myth
> -- but -- it also may blow away my 500Mb NAS.  So -- it'll address half
> my problem.   Besides -- it's REALLY cool!

I have four slugs and you're correct: They are very cool.

But not as a Myth file server, it's too slow.

Even if you de-underclock them (doubling the CPU speed to 250) their
performance is marginal even for SD, and forget about HD.

(Actually I've heard that recent units are shipping with this mod)

Look at the performance numbers on the web site. They make good mail
servers, non-video file servers, backup servers, DAAP music servers, low
demand web servers, samba servers and many folks are using them as
Asterisk servers.

The problem is not the CPU  but the speed of the USB subsystem, as well
as the limited and extremely hard to upgrade RAM.

I agree that Debian is the best firmware to run on them.

beww