[mythtv-users] Comments on backend replacement

James Gutshall Jr warchildx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 22:28:18 UTC 2007

Though.....
Mysql doesnt really use alot of CPU, but loves memory, and thus depending on
what your needs are, it may help or hurt you.

If you need the server to house large database and use it for storage of
other data, then it might be a good thing.

if your backend is doing transcoding, com flagging, etc, you need as fast of
processors as you can get for cheap.  multiprocessors helps, but you will
run out of raw speed before you have 4 user jobs running at the same time
due to the mhz of the individual processors.  I run into the same problem
with my hp quad.  I ended up retiring it to the garage for this reason.
Also because of disks.  I have a boxful of 9/18/36GB scsi drives that even
put into raid5 or 6, is tiny compared to just getting a couple of big 'ol
IDE/SATA and doing a mirror.

YMMV
--James