[mythtv-users] Upscaling SD content on an HDTV set

David Fishburn dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 23:09:42 UTC 2007

On 10/28/07, David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/27/07, David Fishburn <dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am about to purchase an HDTV (either 720p or 1080p).  We still have
> > an old 27" CRT and would like a larger TV.
> >
> > Based on what I have read (here and the internet) and the distance I
> > will be from the TV, there is actually no advantage to getting a 1080p
> > set.
> >
> > 99% of the material I watch will be SD.  Many of the HDTVs I have seen
> > display a nearly unwatchable SD signal.
> >
> > A couple of questions:
> >
> > 1.  I used MythArchive to create a DVD of some of my SD shows.  If I
> > take this in and watch it on the new HDTVs, will it accurately
> > represent what I will see when I watch an SD recording at home?

[snip]

> We have a 32" 720p set and for the most part I'm happy with how SD content
> looks on it. It looks better than the internal tuner on the TV hooked up to
> the cable line so that's about all I can expect. I have it hooked up via a
> DVI to HDMI cable and IMHO it looks better than when I have it hooked up
> with a VGA cable.
>
> DVDs also look very good on it. Best advice I can offer would be to transfer
> one of your recordings onto a laptop and try it out in the store if they'll
> let you.

I tried it out at Future Shop.  Brought in a MythArchive DVD.  Watched
it at home, then watched it there.  It looked good enough, considering
I was standing only a few feet away while at home I would be quite a
bit further.

That was enough to convince me it will be good enough until I start
getting some HD content.

Dave