[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 3 00:54:01 UTC 2007

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=storage&articleId=9045141&taxonomyId=19&intsrc=kc_top
> <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=storage&articleId=9045141&taxonomyId=19&intsrc=kc_top>
>
> Seagate is giving partial refunds if you bought one of their hard drives
> in the past two years because they falsely advertised the storage
> capacity. I ran into this issue when i bought a few 500gb drives only to
> find that they only actually have 466gb of storage. Just passing this
> along to my myth friends who have helped me out in the past few months.
> -Steve

All well and good, perhaps.

It seems to me that anybody purchasing a hard drive should understand
about capacities.

Add to that the fact that any retail drive package I've seen has had
(albeit in tiny print and not very prominent) a statement that your
actual usable size will be less than the purported number of GBs.

So what we really have is people buying products they do not understand,
and who can't or won't read labels, blaming the maker for using the same
type of marketing everybody else uses (bought a "gigabyte ethernet" or
"108Mbps wireless" product lately ?

I suspect that the attorneys involved will make more on this than the
"victims".

Welcome to the Litigious States of America.

(Of course my real complaint is that I'm one of those who never keeps
receipts, so I lose out here :-)

beww