[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 09:05:22 UTC 2007

On 11/3/07, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I completely agree with your points. I'm not singling hard drive
> manufacturers out in particular, but the general inconsistency that
> exists, and that HDD manufacturers appear to be the most obvious 'odd
> man out'.

I disagree that they are the obvious odd man out. Physical storage media
have often used the prefixes correctly (or at least more correctly - the old
1.44MB floppy is actually 1.44 * 1000 * 1024 bytes - it's not like the
inconsistency has arisen suddenly). Companies use them correctly when
referring to network speeds and CPU speeds. You speak as if the whole
industry other than hard disk manufacturers use the terms consistently. They
don't. Essentially only RAM capacities and the size  figures reported by
some OSes use the incorrect definition.

Where inconsistency exists it should be resolved by choosing the correct
alternative. AFAICS there is no good reason to choose to continue to use the
incorrect definition just because some of the industry has always done so in
the past. Suing the companies that are using the term correctly is certainly
not the right way to go.

As far as I'm concerned the HD manufacturers have done nothing wrong: they
are using the terms accurately. They are not being misleading and even go so
far as to point out the definition they are using. Beyond that it is up to
the consumer to understand the specifications of the gear they are buying.
Caveat emptor and all of that.

Cheers,
Steve