[mythtv-users] MythTV Hauppauge PVR-150 Recordings from Composite are destorted

Cool Frood aaranya+mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 18:39:06 UTC 2007

On 11/2/07, Lorenzo Mueller <lorenzo.mueller at mail2web.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a Hauppauge PVR-150. When I record from the build-in tuner,
> everything works fine.
> I have problems when I want to record shows from the composite-input. The
> video is fine, but the sound is distorted and sounds really strange.
>
> It is very serious that when I watch LIVE-TV from the Composite, the sound
> is OK. Also when I record from LIVE-TV (Press "r") the sound is OK. It is
> only when I make a scheduled record.
>
> Maybe someone could help me, because I cannot explain why the sound is only
> destorted from the composite-input at scheduled records.
>
> Thx in advance

I had this problem too back when I was using the composite input from
my cable box.  Now I don't have a cable box anymore and I'm using the
tuner on the PVR-150 so I don't have this issue any more.  I came
across this hack when I was trying to deal with the problem:

#!/bin/sh
 # Some variables used to remember if the device is in use or not
 record_video0=NO
 # Loop forever
 while true
 do
    # Is the video device in use ?
    fuser /dev/video0 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]
    then
       # Something is using video device and this is the first time
we notice this
       if [ "$record_video0" = "NO" ]
       then
          date
          echo "   recording on video0"
          sleep 5
          /usr/local/bin/ivtvctl -d /dev/video0 -q 0
          echo
       fi
       record_video0=YES
    else
       # Not recording
       if [ "$record_video0" = "YES" ]
       then
          date
          echo "   not recording anymore on video0"
          echo
       fi
       record_video0=NO
    fi
    sleep 1
 done

I put this in a script called sound_fixer and started this in my
.xinitrc (or .xserverrc, I forget).  You might have to play with the
"-q" value in the ivtvctl command to figure out which one works for
you.

Hope this helps,
Akshat