[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Nov 4 04:14:51 UTC 2007

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 10:17:18PM -0600, griz_quattro wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > griz_quattro wrote:
> >
> >> Seagate has had a good run of drives for the past few years and
> >> I can not complain. Penalizing a manufacturer for the buyer's
> >> ignorance is nuts. It's as irresponsible as it is incredible.
> >> I won't apply for a refund, even though the receipts are in the file.
> >> Litigious States of America: where buffoonery is meagerly rewarded.
> >
> > I think you will see from my other posts that I agree with you. My only
> > fear is that by not applying for a refund I will make it even more
> > profitable for the attorneys and thus encourage more of this nonsense.
> >
> > A lot of us here have complained about the RIAA and their legal
> > shenanigans, but I think this is even more pernicious, because a lot of
> > people may see it as a "good thing".
> > beww
>
> If the non-collected money is going to the offending lawyers, I may opt
> for the backup software or, worse, the monetary refund. I haven't been

	It's an unsatifying outcome but it's what we get since those
who's job it is to prosecute fraud don't seem to care about this. Ideally,
some officers from Seagate would do time for this.

	Since that won't happen a monetary punishment is the only option
left.

	The only other alternative is to continue to allow companies to
get away with fraud and use the arguments of willing dupes.

[deletia]
> Seagate is getting hosed. They must pay not more than $1,792,000 for

	As well they should.

	You play, you get caught, you pay.

	The only question is whether or not the punishment fits the crime.

	This goes equally well for RIAA shenanignas where they actually
have a real case and can prove it.

[deletia]
> Opinionated Summary: Two dolts hired a couple of shysters to get $5 back
> on every $100 spent on a Seagate HDD because of the difference between
> the way HDD makers and the operating system reports size/capacity.

	No. Two citizens decided they weren't going to be treated as
"consumers" anymore.

	A jury agreed with them.

> This has already been cussed & discussed to the point that I believe we
> can file our own absurd law suit against those, the dolts, who
> perpetuated it in order to get the time back that we have spent writing,
> researching, and responding to emails.
>
> After all this, I'm still not going to try and get anything out of
> Seagate. And, still can't tell if the lawyers get the difference of what
> isn't claimed.
>
> Common sense is any thing but common,

	Common sense would dictate someone from Seagate doing hard time.