[mythtv-users] MythTV backend crashing constantly (SOLVED)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 4 04:32:07 UTC 2007

On 11/03/2007 02:29 AM, Joe Auty wrote:
> I think I have solved this problem... At least, so far, so good.
>
> It looks like the culprit was a piece of software called "MythGrowl"
> for OS X was causing the backend to crash. The only other change I
> made was to disable invoking mythfilldatabase automatically, I will
> experiment with turning this back on and seeing what happens. However,
> I have reason to believe that this wasn't the problem.
>
> For the benefit of others that might be experiencing crashes for this
> or any other reason, I'll keep you guys posted :)

What does MythGrowl do?  (I.e. any idea what the root cause is?  Is it
just sending a lot of backend status queries (HTML/XML) or some other
"known" way of crashing the backend?  If so, perhaps something like
myth_recent_recordings.pl (in SVN trunk) or a similar Growl-specific
script written to use the Perl bindings like myth_recent_recordings.pl
could be used instead.)

Mike