[mythtv-users] surround 5.1 sound

Ismo Tanskanen ismot at telemail.fi
Sun Nov 4 09:59:19 UTC 2007

On 11/03/2007 10:28 AM, Ismo Tanskanen wrote:
>  Is mythfrontend capable to send 5.1 sound out from soundcard's analog
>  connectors?

Nope. AC-3 and DTS passthrough are the only ways to get digital
"surround" sound. (I.e. your receiver may actually be able to detect
Pro-Logic encoding (or similar) in the 2-channel stereo, depending on
many issues.) See, also, ticket #1104.

>  I'm planning to buy cheap 5.1 speaker set to bedroom. They
>  don't use digital out, but connect directly to soundcard, which has 5.1
>  speaker outputs. SC is soundmax integrated (asus m2npv-mx)
>
>  Now, I only get sound from front speakers, even if there is 5.1 track. I
>  use internal player to play dvd. TV channels also transmit surround
>  sound often.
>
>  In living room I have dolby amplifier and I use AC3 passthrough, what is
>  working great. But I don't want buy separate amplifier to bedroom, I
>  think some kind of computer 5.1 surround set (creative, logitech etc) is
>  working fine for that purpose.

You'll need to fake it with a ttable-based channel copy.

Mike

Can you explain this a bit more.. please.

-kane