[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 4 10:25:50 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> I agree.  I wish the US had a means of allowing "affected parties" to
> explicitly denounce the class action and .  I'm really quite upset that
> some moron lawyers are getting some of my money that I paid to--and
> still feel belongs to--Seagate.
>
> The only thing I've seen that's kind of like that are those cards you
> sometimes get saying if you don't want to participate in the class
> action to sign and return the card.  But, since those are to allow you
> to file a claim of your own, I don't think using one would send the
> proper signals.
>
> Too bad it was cheaper for Seagate to settle than to fight the moron
> lawyers.

This is also why some products are never available in the US, the makers
just don't want to take chances with the screwy US legal system. I had
to order my Zaurus SL-C760 from Japan and my GP2X from Hong Kong,
neither product was ever sold in the US, probably because they are not
totally encumbered by DRM and thus *might* be used to "pirate" videos
(defined as watching something you have paid for on the device of your
choice).

The threat of this sort of silliness can do nothing but delay or
otherwise impede the development, or at least the sale, of technology,
as well as increase its cost.

beww