[mythtv-users] Reducing Mythtv computer "proliferation"

David Krainess davidkrainess at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 13:43:22 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have 4 separate computers:
1 Windows
1 Myth Frontend/Backend
2 Myth Frontends

It started out 3 or 4 years ago, I thought, I don't
want to pay the TIVO subscription and eventually ended
up spending much more because Mythtv and Linux are
somewhat addicting and hobbyish and now I have a bunch
of computers cluttered about.  Somehow, WAF is high
with all this.

So, I am about to upgrade my 4 year old Windows box
and started to think about exactly why I have four
computers and why I am spending money and time
maintaining them.  So now, the WTF factor is high.

With the advance of computer technology (Quad cores,
64 bit memory addressing, Virtualization), could this
not all be on 1 $1000 computer with a bunch video
cards, a serial mux for LIRC, a couple sound cards,
and cables protruding to each monitor or
TV/LIRC/Speaker system.

Ideally I would like: 1 Mythtv master computer, 3+
Mythtv frontend instances configured to work as 3
completely separate environments (I.E. 3 different
sound channels, 3 LIRC channels, 3 different video
outs, some 150 feet away) and one Virtual Windows
system out with sound and KVM?

Is anybody doing anything like this?  If so, how, what
are the tricks and traps, cable length issues.