[mythtv-users] Reducing Mythtv computer "proliferation"

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Nov 4 15:49:08 UTC 2007

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 05:43:22AM -0800, David Krainess wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have 4 separate computers:
> 1 Windows
> 1 Myth Frontend/Backend
> 2 Myth Frontends
>
> It started out 3 or 4 years ago, I thought, I don't
> want to pay the TIVO subscription and eventually ended
> up spending much more because Mythtv and Linux are
> somewhat addicting and hobbyish and now I have a bunch
> of computers cluttered about.  Somehow, WAF is high
> with all this.

  Something to keep in mind is that you have some degree
of redundancy here. If you have multiple distinct frontends
you have a little bit more flexibility and the possibility
to easily replace a broken unit.

  I am actually going in the direction opposite of you.

  1) Avoid doing anything non-myth related on the backend.
  2) Getting duplicate frontends that are exact matches
     for each other.

  I'd rather have reliable and redundant.

  I will eventually get around to RAID5 and a hot spare.

  Some things (like my remote) I would like to have spares
  lying around for (need to get around to doing that).

[deletia]