[mythtv-users] Feature request: upcoming recordings disk usage

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Nov 4 16:34:19 UTC 2007

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 04:10:44PM +0000, John Veness wrote:
> Preston Crow wrote:
> > It would be really nice if the upcoming recording screen would warn
> > about running out of disk space.  If Myth knew the bitrate for each
> > show, this would be easy.  For shows encoded locally, that's easy.  For
> > digital shows (e.g., QAM and ATSC), it would require tracking an average
> > bitrate for shows previously recorded on that channel, which seems like
> > a relatively easy thing to track.
> >
> > It would be an estimate, but it should be good enough to be helpful.
>
> I agree this would be a nice feature, especially for those of us who are
> limited on storage. (I think) I've noticed that for digital stuff, at
> least in the UK, the bitrate on a particular channel varies depending on
> the show, and so to give a more accurate estimate you would have to
> track bitrates per channel per show, not just per channel. This might
> make things trickier. Maybe I'm wrong in my observation...

  ...tracking bitrates on a per show basis might not be such a bad idea.
It certainly shouldn't be too difficult to estimate future disk usage
based on prior disk usage for the same programid. It would be a crude
guess of course since you can have different channels showing the same
thing. Although you could even take that into account.

[deletia]