[mythtv-users] Reducing Mythtv computer "proliferation"

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Sun Nov 4 19:46:17 UTC 2007

> Hi all,
>
> I have 4 separate computers:
> 1 Windows
> 1 Myth Frontend/Backend
> 2 Myth Frontends
>
> It started out 3 or 4 years ago, I thought, I don't
> want to pay the TIVO subscription and eventually ended
> up spending much more because Mythtv and Linux are
> somewhat addicting and hobbyish and now I have a bunch
> of computers cluttered about.  Somehow, WAF is high
> with all this.
>
> So, I am about to upgrade my 4 year old Windows box
> and started to think about exactly why I have four
> computers and why I am spending money and time
> maintaining them.  So now, the WTF factor is high.
>
> With the advance of computer technology (Quad cores,
> 64 bit memory addressing, Virtualization), could this
> not all be on 1 $1000 computer with a bunch video
> cards, a serial mux for LIRC, a couple sound cards,
> and cables protruding to each monitor or
> TV/LIRC/Speaker system.
>
> Ideally I would like: 1 Mythtv master computer, 3+
> Mythtv frontend instances configured to work as 3
> completely separate environments (I.E. 3 different
> sound channels, 3 LIRC channels, 3 different video
> outs, some 150 feet away) and one Virtual Windows
> system out with sound and KVM?
>
> Is anybody doing anything like this?  If so, how, what
> are the tricks and traps, cable length issues.

How do you plan to distribute your centralized myth around the house?
I have my main myth backend in the basement recording SD and then
connected to an rf modulator to go through the coax already running
through the house. Then I have x10 powermids on each SD tv with a
streamzap remote.
This only works because these tvs are never used at the same time,
although it wouldn't be too difficult to add a video card, sound card, IR
receiver and rf modulator for each TV. I've to find another way to send IR
back to base though. It just might be difficult to find a motherboard with
enough pci slots.
I've also switched everyone over to linux desktops + nice lcd monitors +
streamzap remotes, so that every workstation is now a nice entertainment
center. For HD I have a dedicated frontend for my only HDTV.
I'd be interested in seeing your solution for multiple frontends on a
single machine.

Daniel