[mythtv-users] OT: What does Fedora 8 really have to offer?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Nov 5 19:12:33 UTC 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 11:03 AM, match at ece.utah.edu wrote:

> On 5 Nov 2007 at 13:06, Support [ Ian Ward ] wrote:
>
>> <Flame suit on>
>> I'm thinking Ubuntu may be a better option as apt seems much smarter
>> than yum.
>> Does Ubuntu handle major version upgrades better?
>>
> For me, the whole Ubuntu philosopy gets in the way. No root? What's
> up with
> that?... Randomly generated MySQL password? No thanks... SUDO every
> time I have to do something as superuser?... Everytime?... Too much
> bother,
> and I don't need a Nanny.

It's worth pointing out that you can have a root account under Ubuntu
if you really want one -- the system just won't set it up for you.

sudo vs. su is a personal preference issue, at least on boxes where
only one person is routinely doing system administration.  (sudo's
logging capabilities make it desirable when you have more than one
person exercising rootly powers.)