[mythtv-users] Hard crashes of mythtv backends

Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com
Mon Nov 5 19:36:33 UTC 2007

>Do others with multiple ivtv cards have backends crashing like this?

Yes.  Are you by chance using the XFS filesystem?  I've been battling
hard lockups of my backend for the last 6 months or so.  6 months seems
like a long time (and it is) but when crashes only occur every week or
so, debug iterations take a long time.  I first suspected a memory
issue, then heat, and then my relatively new PVR-500.  After ruling all
those out by trying known-good components or removing them altogether, I
tried multiple distros.  Same hard lockups under MythDora 4 and
KnoppMyth R5E50.  My latest try was to move off of my XFS LVM array onto
a different drive with an ext3 partition.  That seems to have done it,
although I won't be sure for a few more weeks of non-crashes.

Frontent/Backend combo Hardware:
AMD X2 3800
MSI K8N Neo4-F Motherboard
1 GB Ram (2 x 512)
PVR 250
PVR 500
80 GB SATA drive for system partitions
2 x 200 GB IDE drives for LVM recordings partition (now ext3)