[mythtv-users] Reducing Mythtv computer "proliferation"

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Nov 5 21:16:06 UTC 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 12:00 PM, David Krainess wrote:
> All kidding aside, why...some of the "Data Center"
> world is moving towards virtualization to maximize
> hardware use and consolidate servers.  I feel I have 4
> computers utilizing 5% to 20% of the resources on
> each.  It seems like a waste.

Maybe the best solution would be one big backend, and then low-
powered diskless frontends.  This would maintain the benefits of
keeping the playback decoding close to the display, while letting you
use quieter, more power-efficient hardware for most of the systems.

A fly in the ointment may be HDTV, which genuinely requires a lot of
resources for playback.  But for SDTV a "thin" frontend system isn't
a bad idea.  I remember seeing someone mention they'd set up a Myth
frontend on an MSN WebTV 2 set-top box.  I thought it was nifty
enough that I've been keeping my eyes open for one of these boxes at
the local computer recycler.