[mythtv-users] Questions: multiple HD tuner backend with Pentium 4 3.0 GHz front-end

Sean Goodpasture goofygrin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 21:19:34 UTC 2007

On 11/5/07, Marland V. Pittman <marland at mvpittman.com> wrote:

> - Do I really need 2 GB of RAM in a front-end? Will 1 GB be fine?

I use 1gig on a combo FE/BE, np.

- Is 2.8 GHz fast enough to simultaneously record 3 or more HD streams?

You don't even need that much.

- Does my backend need lots of RAM (more than 1 GB) to record from
> multiple tuners?

Not that I've seen... again, 1 gig is doing me fine.

- Does separating the frontend from the backend only help playback?

Well, commflagging is a big CPU user for me as well as SD.

Would I benefit from having the Tuner in a frontend machine as opposed
> to the backend? It'd be nice to just have one antenna split into 5 cards
> at one location, rather than wiring up the whole house.

This is what I did and it's way easier.

- I assume HD needs lots of bandwidth. Do I need to upgrade from a 100
> megabit switch to gigabit to pull this off? I'm hoping if I have 5
> tuners in the machine, but I'm only pulling two tuners worth of live
> content, or two prerecorded shows at once, I can manage.

Ya, 100 meg should be fine.  My network is a mix of gigE and 100m and I
rarely have issues.

- Is MythDora being based on F6 really a problem? I mean, these are
> going to be appliances... I'm not planning on mucking about with them,
> but I would like to be able to upgrade them as necessary.

MythDora is what I ended up with, and it's nice because it was the most plug
and play solution I tested.  There are others out there (mythbuntu) that you
might try out for a couple days to see if you like them.

Sean