[mythtv-users] Please help me get kick-started with MythTV+DVB-S(2)

Neil Trotter neil at nook.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 23:20:00 UTC 2007

I’m planning to build a MythTV box, and can just about work out what I
need in terms of hardware except for TV card(s).

I’ve been reading around for a few weeks now, trying to discover
compatible DVB-S cards.   Unless I’m missing it somehow,
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org doesn’t list any MythTV installations with
DVB-S cards.  I favour DVB-S as I have a dual-LNB satellite dish on the
roof left over from a Sky+ installation (I’m in the UK).  I see Hauppage
offer the WinTV Nova S Plus, & the WinTV Nova HD S2, but haven’t been
able to find any reports of whether these work with MythTV or not.

Since I’m not committed to any particular hardware at this stage, brand
is not important (unless there are quality issues), so am open to
suggestions.  Of course the most important factor is compatibility with
MythTV, and my order of choice of card would be DVB-S2 (so that I can
upgrade the TV when there is more HD content available), DVB-S, and
lastly DVB-T.  Digital Terrestrial is last on the list as my geography
means £200+ on aerial(s) & signal amplification.

Thanks for all input!

--Neil.