[mythtv-users] Reducing Mythtv computer "proliferation"

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Nov 5 23:27:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 01:16:06PM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2007, at 12:00 PM, David Krainess wrote:
> > All kidding aside, why...some of the "Data Center"
> > world is moving towards virtualization to maximize
> > hardware use and consolidate servers.  I feel I have 4
> > computers utilizing 5% to 20% of the resources on
> > each.  It seems like a waste.

  Startup a backend on the other frontends. '-)

  Seriously, that's one of the cool things about MythTV.
It's a "cluster" solution. If my main backend for some
reason can't keep up with it's transcoding work I can
startup the backend process on my frontend and the
living room and throw 2 more cores at the situation.

   I'd rather frontends be mostly idle most of the
time rather than worry about whether or not they
will get bogged down and skip during playback.