[mythtv-users] Reducing Mythtv computer "proliferation"

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Nov 5 23:31:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 04:52:57PM -0600, Sean Goodpasture wrote:
> On 11/5/07, David Krainess <davidkrainess at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > All kidding aside, why...some of the "Data Center"
> > world is moving towards virtualization to maximize
> > hardware use and consolidate servers.  I feel I have 4
> > computers utilizing 5% to 20% of the resources on
> > each.  It seems like a waste.
>

> Except that these data center servers aren't trying to render 1920x1080
> MPEG2 on the fly!  On my FE, I routinely get 50%+ CPU utilization when
> watching HD (more if watching + comflagging).
>
> Also, as a developer that's had to actually *use* virtualized servers, I'll
> tell you they tend to suck when under load...  Some people swear by them,

  That has been my experience as well. This has been with IBM's AIX
micropartitioning. It's not even getting into stuff like vmware.

  Apparently, that kind of tech doens't work well for multiple virtual
servers that are hammering the resources on their individual virtual
machines. (whodathunkit?)

> but in my experience, they are rarely pulled off that well (and fer dang
> sure not on consumer hardware -- the good ones are on SUPER beefy servers
> that cost way more than 5 myth boxen [esp if they are diskless]).

    I've done this sort of thing on "super beefy servers" and was left unimpressed.
NUMA systems can be cool. But there you still have multiple machines. They're just
all in one chassis stacked on top of each other like lego blocks.