[mythtv-users] Please help me get kick-started with MythTV+DVB-S(2)

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Tue Nov 6 02:17:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, November 6, 2007 12:27 pm, Nick F wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2007 11:20 PM, Neil Trotter <neil at nook.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I've been reading around for a few weeks now, trying to discover
>> compatible
>> DVB-S cards.   Unless I'm missing it somehow, http://pvrhw.goldfish.org
>> doesn't list any MythTV installations with DVB-S cards.  I favour DVB-S
>> as I
>> have a dual-LNB satellite dish on the roof left over from a Sky+
>> installation (I'm in the UK).  I see Hauppage offer the WinTV Nova S
>> Plus, &
>> the WinTV Nova HD S2, but haven't been able to find any reports of
>> whether
>> these work with MythTV or not.
>
> The Technotrend Budget S-1500 DVB-S card works well with Myth.  I've
> also used a Skystar 2 card successfully.  I would personally avoid a
> S2 card for now since the Linux drivers are immature.  BBC HD (via
> DVB-S) can be picked up with a 'regular' S card.  The Sky HD channels
> (and many other European HD channels) require a S2 card.

What he said! The Skystar 2 card is the bees knees. I concur about the s2
cards too, the drivers are yet to fully emerge for linux.

I have heard that the Twinhan VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S card is better
avoided (compared to the the Skystar) as the drivers are incomplete and
they have some sensitivity issues.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/278990 for the gory
details.

--