[mythtv-users] Comcast Fall attack

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 6 03:44:18 UTC 2007

coffee177 wrote:

> I called and was transferred to the wrong area the first time.   It was
> a girl that services the Georgia area.  She told me the price of digital
> was $49.99 so I should switch now.  After discovering that I was not in
> the area she serviced she said I would have a different price in Indiana
> so the price she gave me was wrong for my area.  Another unfair thing,
> the price is so different depending on what area you live in.  Ours is
> $69.99 for the same thing."

Much as I hate to admit it, there may be some justification for the
differing fees. Different cities might have different franchise fees,
costs such as pole rental might be different, insurance on vehicles will
differ, labor costs vary, power costs (trunk amps draw power) are
different, construction standards vary (burial depth requirements might
be different (have to be below frost line in some places), one area
might use flush-mount vaults while another might use pedestals etc.),
insurance costs might be different - I'm sure you can think of other
factors.

Some markets might have requirements to build, staff and operate public
access facilities, which are ultimately paid for by subscribers. Some
systems might have to lease duct space. The cost of buildings for
headends etc. will vary, passings per mile of plant will be different,
anticipated percentage of passings that will subscribe will vary...

> Now, Ive got an analog tuner (pvr150) and Ill probably be switching
> soon. We are kinda limited here in Indiana. Wondering what my options
> are?
>
> Anyone have comcast and using mythtv digital? Are there alot of channels
> or are they all encrypted?
>
> Being a comcast customer is so depressing...

That I agree with 100%, having had to deal with them when I lived in New
Jersey.

I swear, If I saw one more promo welcoming me to the "Comcast Family" I
was going to scream.

Considered satellite ??

beww