[mythtv-users] Hard crashes of mythtv backends

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 04:43:28 UTC 2007

On 11/5/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> I was having similar issues with my master backend...  It was purely
> hardware--and I knew it from the start, but that didn't stop me from
> living with it for almost exactly a year.  I was unwilling to "admit
> defeat" by just replacing the hardware and tried all sorts of things to
> fix the problem, all the while living with an unreliable Myth system.
>
> Finally, I admitted that the chipset (from a "high-performance" chipset
> vendor) was garbage (second-generation is still too new to be reliable)
> and replaced the motherboard with one having a (low-performance) chipset
> that was identical to the one in my (rock-solid stable) slave backend.
> Best $50 I ever spent (socket 462 MB's are relatively expensive from a
> "bang-for-the-buck" perspective since no one is making them these
> days).  In all, trying to reuse a computer and trying to fix it cost me
> about 3x as much as I would have spent just buying a new
> CPU/MB/RAM/PSU/case--and that's completely discounting the value of my time.

In my case this is the third CPU/MB/RAM/PSU/case I've used for my
backend with the same problem.  And current backend (Core 2 Duo/Intel
MB) is almost the same hardware as my Windows box that sits right next
to it and never crashes.

I thought it was hardware after the first two backends but at this
point if it is hardware other than the one of the pvr's I would be
very surprised.  Once I move the computers to other tasks they never
crash again.

I guess the 3 pvrs could be overheating the machines... I guess I can
try to monitor the temperature.  But buying a new motherboard doesn't
seem likely to help me.  Believe me if I knew what to buy to fix this
I would...  :)