[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR-500 tinny audio

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 09:11:28 UTC 2007

On 06/11/2007, Taco Mel <taco_mel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have seen on the MythTV wiki and in previous posts
> (although none recently) about distorted audio with
> the PVR-500.  I have recently begun to experience this
> problem, since I changed from cable to satellite TV,
> and hence, changed my input sources from the tuner to
> the S-video input.  Furthermore, I experience this
> problem only on tuner #1.  Tuner #2, which is attached
> via the header, has been fine.
>
> Furthermore, I am using ivtv version 1.0.6, so I have
> been unable to try the workaround posted in the wiki
> (ivtvctl -d whatever -q 0, ivtvctl -d whatever -q 1).
> I did find v4l2-ctl and tried muting and unmuting,
> adjusting the volume, etc.  These options did what
> they were supposed to, i.e., I heard the audio mute
> and volume get quieter.  But it did not fix the audio
> problem.

When I had the tinny audio problem on my PR-150 (installed as
/dev/video0), I needed to run

/usr/bin/ivtvctl --device=/dev/video0 -q1
/usr/bin/ivtvctl --device=/dev/video0 -c stream_type=10

once the recording had started. This was before ivtv-ctl was
superceded with v4l2-ctl, so I'd check for a similar option. I'm
running ivtv 0.6.7 on that machine and no longer have the tinny audio
problem since upgrading from ivtv 0.4.x.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/