[mythtv-users] Comcast Fall attack

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Nov 6 22:43:12 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007, at 1:24 PM, coffee177 wrote:

> I went down to the local comcast office and spent about 20 minutes
> talking to a lady that had no clue in the world. But I was able to
> get a
> look at the digital box they offer. Its a Motorola DTC700/US. This
> thing
> has an output for the vcr but they said you can only record what
> you are
> watching. I looked at her and asked her how many shows does she record
> that she is currently watching? She gave me a dirty look.

Heh heh.  Yeah, that's one of the biggest disadvantages of set-top
boxes.

What I do is just let Myth have the digital box exclusively.  I threw
the cable box remote in a drawer after I set it up and haven't
touched it since.  If I want to watch a digital channel live, I do it
through LiveTV and let Myth mess with changing channels on the box as
necessary.  This does mean I can only record one digital cable
channel at once, but I also have a separate analog tuner, which helps
with overlap as long as one of the overlapping shows is available on
analog cable.  Also, it means I don't have to ever worry about
changing sources on my TV, and I can watch digital channels on
frontends that don't have cable boxes themselves.