[mythtv-users] Hard crashes of mythtv backends

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:14:26 UTC 2007

> Is it possible to run mythbackend as a regular user on Fedora?  The
> init code to start mythbackend that I use is probably from atrpms.

AFAIR the init script provided by atrpms explicitly commented out the
setting to start mythbackend as a regular user.  I think that this was
to do with the non-standard ways that distributions handle user
permissions on the video devices.

It's easy enough to change the mythbackend init script to set it to
run as a regular user but you have to make sure that the user you
specify has permission to access the /dev/video devices for your tuner
cards.  This involves modifying the udev configuration (at least
that's how I did it for my dvb cards).  You may also have to change
the permission on your storage directories and for any existing
recordings.