[mythtv-users] Hard crashes of mythtv backends

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:33:50 UTC 2007

> Do others with multiple ivtv cards have backends crashing like this?
> I wonder if this is common or something specific to my setup.

I'm having the same issue.  My backend will randomly lock up,
requiring a hard reset.  I'm using ext3, seems like everyone else
chiming in here that's having this problem is using XFS.

It seems with mine that it looks up at a similar time as yours does
Michael.  It appears (but not confirmed) that the majority of the time
the system will lock up when it's recording two shows on my
pvr150/250, a show on my hd3000, slaves are commflagging, and a show
is being watched.  This sometimes happens daily, sometimes it will go
a week or more.  It's very odd.

I think the problem has something to do with pushing too much IO
against a single drive.  If I'm recording three shows, processing two,
and watching one, that's three constants writes and three reads going
against one single hard drive.  I'm wondering if there's a threshold
that I'm breaching.

> Missing a minute or two of a recording while mythbackend restarts is
> annoying but missing a whole night due to a hard crash is hard on the
> WAF.  :(

Indeed.  Myth can be the greatest thing in the world, but it can also
be the root cause of many stressful evenings haha

--
Regards,
Bill Omer