[mythtv-users] Any way to automate handling delayed programs?

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 21:49:41 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 9:01 AM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Now that football season is upon us here in the U.S., shows following
> games are frequently delayed due to games overruning their scheduled
> time slot.  (No surprise there.)
>
> However, regularly scheduled programs following the end of the game
> are typically shown in their entirety with a delayed schedule.  This can
> occur when other kinds of major events delay the regular schedule, too.
>
> Has any way been developed to automate accounting for the delay in
> MythTV to adjust the recording times of these delayed programs?
>
> I know this is not a trivial programming task and I haven't yet found
> any mention in the HOWTOs or wiki articles, but I'm asking in case
> a solution has been out there in some forlorn corner of the web that I
> have yet to visit. ;-)
>
> The only workaround I can come up with is to discover the delay before
> a scheduled recording completes and manually modify the rule to record
> additional time after the scheduled end-time.  This doesn't usually work
> for me since I'm rarely paying attention to "live" TV with MythTV
> running now.
>
> Is there any such automated solution or a better workaround?
>
> Craig.

Now, I don't have a solution to use the data, but CBS has a services
which will email information regarding delayed programming dues to
late games.  I'm not sure if the other networks have anything similar.
 I just happened to see this a couple months ago.

http://www.cbs.com/eye-lerts/?source=cbshp

You could try to combine that with some of the MRE code mentioned
elsewhere to come up with a solution.

Since I live on the west coast, I don't really run into this problem.
Out of curiosity, do they push back the entire prime time lineup when
this happens, or do they take out commercials so that they can
catch-up?  They have to get back on schedule eventually.

Features like this would be something I'd like to see grow out of SD.

Good luck,
Billy