[mythtv-users] Can one PC serve two frontend users independently?

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 22:37:37 UTC 2007

2007/11/7, Bill Omer <bill.omer at gmail.com>:
> On Nov 7, 2007 12:37 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a PC working as a frontend and backend.  Is it possible for
> > this one PC to have the backend and two frontends or does each
> > frontend need to be on seperate PC's.
>
> No, not possible.  You don't *have* to use a pc though.  There are
> other options, like an xbox or MediaMVP.

It can be done. You will need two different ~./mythtv folder, but you
can set it with $MYTHCONFDIR before starting mythfrontend. Or make two
users and start tow totally different mythfrontend sessions.

mythfrontend will take the right lircrc file from its directory. you
will have to run two lircd processes if you want to use two different
remotes. and just to be sure, try not to have the same button names
for different remotes to avoid conflicts between frontends and
remotes.

and according to users here, you can split front and rear speakers in
two virtual cards. I never tried this, but it sounds interesting.

M.

> > I have a NVIDIA 5200 gfx card which has a VGA and SVIDEO output so if
> > Linux/MythTV supported it I guess it could be possible for one user to
> > see their frontend on VGA and another user to see their completely
> > different frontend on SVIDEO?
> >

> Can't be done.

Glauben heißt nicht wissen wollen, was wahr ist ... Nietzsche