[mythtv-users] Damaged MPEG looks fine?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Nov 8 22:07:44 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 November 2007 02:02:08 Enigma wrote:
> I am having a problem with the programs recorded from QAM-256 (SD
> digital) on my Kworld ATSC-115.  The recordings look fine with no
> obvious artifacts but the commercial flagger seems to choke on them.
> The recording process seems smooth, with no iobound errors.  The flagger
> reports thousands of errors along the lines of:
>
> 2007-11-07 23:41:13.123 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
> [mpeg2video @ 0xa72f92e8]get_buffer() failed (stride changed)

I have no experience with this specific error; however, I've found that
transcoding recordings sometimes fixes weird problems like this. Start with a
lossless transcode; if you're lucky, this might clear up the problem. Failing
that, transcode using your highest-quality settings. (You might want to back
up the recording first, just in case the transcode operation "succeeds" but
produces some hideously garbled recording. For that matter, if this problem
is easily reproducible, experimenting on a short "junk" recording can save a
lot of time!)

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com