[mythtv-users] Comcast Fall attack

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 00:20:26 UTC 2007

Dewey Smolka wrote:

> Here in Chicago, Comcast "basic extended" has been all digital since I
> moved here almost two years ago. I can get precious few stations in
> the clear with a PVR-250 -- the local OTA channels, public access, a
> few PBS stations that aren't available OTA (at least to me), and home
> shopping.

They have been in the process of reconfiguring the headends for digital
in anticipation of lights out in 2009. The "super" HEs in Waukegan and
Mt. Prospect serving northern Cook, Lake, DuPage and parts of Kane and
McHenry are still pushing analog under 100, thankfully.

WYCC ("Wise TV", City Colleges Chicago) and WYIN ("Lakeshore PBS",
Merrilville IN) are in both the analog and digital lineups along with
the 24/7 test pattern on WYCC2. Something to do with public access must
carry rules I believe.

> I still record all the cable channels I'm paying for with the PVR card
> and IR blaster, but if there were any alternative to Comcast, I'd
> probably take it. I rent, and so cannot install satellite, and Comcast
> is the only cable provider where I live.

Uverse is coming this spring, supposedly. Although they are a horse('s
ass) of a different color, I'll drop Comcast and try them out. FWIW,
AT&T is planting pedestals. Everywhere. And they aren't dragging their
feet. I've never seen so many crews working an outside plant overbuild
as this past summer.

--
mw