[mythtv-users] Would the $200 Everx gPC have enough power for a myth-box?

Ryan Allen ryan at the-summit.net
Fri Nov 9 01:51:22 UTC 2007

> Brad wrote:
> > I have been saving up my cashola for a new mobo and processor for a
> > while now, for a mythbox that I want to build.  I already have a
> > tv-tuner card, tv-out video card, and a large hard drive for storage.
> >
> > I was wondering if people think the $200 everex gPC that is being sold
> > at walmart would be powerful enough for DVD/movie playback and streaming
> > live TV?

The VIA is rather low-horse power.  For about $100 more, you can get a
pretty rad refurbished box from delloutlet.com.  Right now there is a

Pentium Dual Core 1600, 160GB HD, a gig of ram, 16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl
layer write,  all stuffed into a mini tower (full height) for $289.
Even comes with fully licensed Vista :)

Systems change every 15 minutes, so check there often.  Don't know if
this link works, but:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh