[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase scheduling

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 9 02:32:53 UTC 2007

On 11/08/2007 03:50 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> So this week we found out that mythfilldatabase will run during prime
> time.  On an AMD 1900 with 3 tuners, even in SD, that's pretty
> exciting.
>
> The setup asks which hours should be permissible for mfdb to run, but
> apparently the "Allow provider to suggest" checkbox overrides that.
>
> I'm not sure whether to
>
> 1) file a ticket on myth requesting that suggestions outside a set allow
> period be skewed into it, or
>
> 2) file a ticket with SD requesting that they not "suggest" fill times
> in local primetime.

No need to do either.  I will be submitting some patches that modify the
way jobs are scheduled (to allow for resource-intensive jobs, like
database maintenance and backups).  As part of these patches, the mfdb
job will be modified to run only when there is sufficient time to
complete before the next scheduled recording (though there's a bit more
logic involved than just that).  I have the patches started, but haven't
had much luck lately finding time to work on them.  (Had you made a trek
across the state to redo all my landscaping, that would have gotten me a
couple weeks of free time to work on it. :)  I've got a pretty full
travel schedule for the remainder of the year, but may actually get some
time to work on it between trips.

> Or of course,
>
> 3) Get a faster friggin processor.  :-)

You'll likely receive a faster processor before I complete my
patches--let alone the wait time for them to be reviewed and committed.
And, really, no need to select next-day shipping to ensure you get the
processor first.  :)

> In any event, take note that "suggest" overrides "allow hours", and
> I'll update the wiki to match.

Yep.  Thus the help text:

Run mythfilldatabase at time suggested by the grabber.
This setting allows a DataDirect guide data provider to specify the next
download time in order to distribute load on their servers. If this
setting is enabled, mythfilldatabase Execution Start/End times are ignored.

Mike