[mythtv-users] Would the $200 Everx gPC have enough power for a myth-box?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Nov 9 03:42:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 05:28:28PM -0800, Brad wrote:
> I have been saving up my cashola for a new mobo and processor for a while now, for a mythbox that I want to build.  I already have a tv-tuner card, tv-out video card, and a large hard drive for storage.
>
> I was wondering if people think the $200 everex gPC that is being sold at walmart would be powerful enough for DVD/movie playback and streaming live TV?  It comes preloaded with Ubuntu, so it shouldn't be too hard to install mythTV.  Here are the specs I could find:

  I don't know but keep in mind that you can get cheap
systems for just a little more (~$250) that are based
on more conventional Althons and the nvidia 6150 chipset.

  My new web/mailserver & desktop box is such a beast.

[deletia]

  So you might also want to check out Frys, CompUSA and
TigerDirect/NewEgg.