[mythtv-users] OT: New Motherboard PCI Slots

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Nov 9 20:20:46 UTC 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 11:50 AM, PK <urbnsr at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I am looking to rebuild one of my MythTV boxes with a newer mainstream
> AMD based system (AM2). As I look at the ATX motherboards on Newegg's site
> (and TigerDirect), the number of PCI slots seem to default to 2-3 slots.
> There are a few 4 slot boards and no 5 slot-ers. I realise PCI-e slots need
> their room, but I like to space out my Hauppauge PVR-xxx tuners for air
> circulation. Am I looking in the wrong places, or should I be looking for
> something else?

My backend is still a lowly Athlon 1800 partly for this reason.  Your choice
of boards will be slim when the number of PCI slots is your primary factor.
The only other option is to consider building multiple backends but then you
have the added cost of components as well as complexities of central vs.
distributed storage, etc.  I don't think there is much you can do in this
area unless you are willing to ditch your PCI cards in favor of USB or HD
HomeRun style tuners.

Kevin