[mythtv-users] Removing commercials

Emery Guevremont emery.guevremont at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 20:27:55 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

I've been using mythtv for well over a year now and I've been trying to
get mythcommflag and mythtranscode to completely remove commercials (not
skip) from my recordings but I haven't been to do so.

Right now I'm using the /usr/share/mythtv/contrib/removecommercials.sh
script to do this, but it hasn't been working. By looking at the logs, I
see that the script detects several breaks in my recordings, but when I
come to watch the transcoded mpg file, all the commercials are still
there. Basically here is what this script does:

mythcommflag -f $VIDEODIR/$FILENAME
mythcommflag --gencutlist -f $VIDEODIR/$FILENAME
mythtranscode --mpeg2 --honorcutlist --showprogress -i
$VIDEODIR/$FILENAME -o $VIDEODIR/$FILENAME.tmp
mythcommflag -f $VIDEODIR/${FILENAME} --rebuild
mythcommflag --clearcutlist -f $VIDEODIR/$FILENAME

Am I missing something? So far this script is only good for wasting my
CPU cycles by performing an MPEG2 to MPEG2 transcode but without
changing anything.

Here's what mythbackend --version gives:

Library API version     : 0.20.20070821-1
Source code version     : 14348
SVN Branch              : branches/release-0-20-fixes
Options compiled in     :
 linux debug using_xvmcw using_v4l using_oss using_alsa using_ivtv
using_firewire using_hdhr using_lirc using_joystick_menu using_dvb
using_x11 using_xv using_xrandr using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld
using_opengl_vsync using_opengl using_frontend using_backend
using_bindings_perl