[mythtv-users] OT: 13 reasons why Linux won't make it to a desktop near you

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Nov 9 21:32:02 UTC 2007

> I think some of you may enjoy this.  I copied some highlights below.  The
> full article can be found here
> http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3304051309.html
>
> You're a marketer who finds an exciting new product developed by some
> really
> smart people. A great product few people have heard of is the Holy Grail
> of
> marketing -- all you have to do is tell everyone about it, and the world
> will beat a path to your door.
>
> Isn't that the theory?
>
> When you look more closely, you find it's not that simple. In fact, you
> find
> a set of insurmountable obstacles. Here's a short list:

     0. Network Effects.

        "other stuff" has to work with your OS of choice. This
        includes 3rd party hardware and 3rd party software. Due
        25 years of market domination, those 3rd parties tend to
        fixate on another (certain) product to the detriment of all
        the others.

[deletia]

      If it were just about free then Dell and Packard Bell could
have preloaded Linux (or even something else) a long-long time ago.

      Not only does the OS have to be good but it also has to either
work well with or replace (for free) everything that the potential
convert might have bought from CompUSA or downloaded from the web.