[mythtv-users] OT: 13 reasons why Linux won't make it to a desktop near you

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Nov 9 22:52:15 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>>
>>>       If it were just about free then Dell and Packard Bell could
>>> have preloaded Linux (or even something else) a long-long time ago.
>> Packard Bell ???
>>
>> I think they went out of the computer biz long before Linux came
>> along.
>
> They're still around in Europe, where their product quality was
> apparently not quite so abysmal.  Haven't seen anything by them in a
> long time in the U.S., though.  They have the dubious honor of one of
> the only computer manufacturers I've ever anti-recommended when asked
> what kind of computer to buy.  (As in, "Whatever you do, don't buy a
> Packard Bell.")  At one time PC World ranked them as having made the
> worst PCs of all time.

I think I read that they had in fact gone out of business in the
conventional sense, but as so often happens these days the name was sold
to various other outfits in different countries.

So many products are just names these days, Phillips being an example in
the consumer electronics area, Springfield Armory and Winchester in the
firearms area.

I recently saw a 1911A1 pistol labeled largely "Springfield Armory,
Genesco, Illinois", then in the smallest possible letters "Made in Brazil".

(The real SA was in Massachusetts)

You just don't know what you're buying anymore, guess that's
"Globalization".

beww