[mythtv-users] Transcoding to mp4 to reduce file size

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Nov 10 15:46:07 UTC 2007

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 09:37:07AM -0500, Chris Isip wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 7:16 PM, Dan Wilson <dwilson at dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> > On 11/9/2007 at 6:31 PM Chris Isip wrote:
> >
> > > I'm hitting the limits of my file storage.  I was wondering if there is
> > > way that I can transcode the mpeg2 programs to mpeg4 and still let the
> > > videos be viewable in mythtv "Watch Recordings".
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Chris
> > >

> > I use the internal transcoding available in myth to convert mpeg2 into
> > mpeg4.  I get about 50% reduction in size, bringing an hour of SD tv down to
> > about 1 GB.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Dan.

> I was looking more towards a reduction  in size from 1.43  GB to 200 MB for
> a 1 hour SD show.  I found a ffmpeg formula for transoding to ipod touch and

  Reasonable defaults for the built in mythtv mpeg4 (divx) transcoder
won'tq quite get you reductions that good but it will still be
substantial (~ 4:1 ). You don't really have to muck around with anything
else but the built in transcoding stuff.

[deletia]

   h264 would be nice to have but ultimately transcoding to that isn't
fast enough to be practical yet. With one tuner and dual cores on my
backend I can keep just a little bit ahead of divx. I were transcoding
h264 I wouldn't be able to keep up.