[mythtv-users] myth2ipod/nuvexport

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 02:51:55 UTC 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 3:26 PM, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2007 12:03 PM, Stephen Robertson <stephengrobertson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I wonder if anyone is having any success with exporting video to an
> > ipod, specifically in this case one of the nanos that can do video if
> > that's relevant.
> >
> > I have a setup working using the myth2ipod script which calls
> > nuvexport for you.  It successfully transcodes the file which I can
> > play with quicktime or on the ipod so thats all good.
> >
> > However the quality isn't great, specifically there is a effect that
> > looks to be something to do with the compression.  It is most
> > pronounced in a scene where there is very little change it gets
> > progressivly worse and the corrects itself, which leads to a jerky
> > effect.  If you want to have a look here is a sample output file.
> >
> > http://81.174.135.24/ipodfeed/1001_20071108163000.ipod.mp4
> >
> > I don't really know enough about video to know what options if any
> > there are to fiddle with so any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Stephen
> >

> What resolution is it encoding at?  The old version that I was using
> encoded at 320x240 or something similar, because that's all the
> original video ipods could do.  Trying upping it to 640x480, that's
> what I did.
>
> --
> It was supposed to be so Easy.

I got this from the net somewhere  and seems to work well for my ipod touch.

#!/bin/bash
rm -rf tmp.mpg* 2> /dev/null
mythtranscode --mpeg2 -i $1 -o tmp.mpg
/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i tmp.mpg  -acodec aac -ac 2 -ar 44100 -ab 128k -s 320x240
-vcodec h264 -b 300k -flags +loop -cmp +chroma -partitions
+parti4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8 -me umh -subq 5 -trellis 1 -refs 1 -coder 0
-me_range 16 -g 300 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -bt 300k
-maxrate 300k -bufsize 300k -rc_eq 'blurCplx^(1-qComp)' -qcomp 0.6 -qmin 15
-qmax 51 -qdiff 4 -level 30 -aspect 320:240 $2
rm -rf tmp.mpg* 2> /dev/null