[mythtv-users] How to play music/videos (mythvideo/mythmusic) on remote mythfrontend

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 10:26:29 UTC 2007

2007/11/11, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
> On 11/10/2007 05:54 PM, Chris Isip wrote:
> > On Nov 10, 2007 5:40 PM, Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I could of course share the video directory with nfs/samba in the
> >> network, but I was convinced that mythtv can stream the videos and
> >> music to a remote mythfrontend like streaming recordings.
>
> The /frontend/ plugins need to have access to the recording files, so
> your frontend must be able to find them on the local filesystem.  (And,
> there's no such thing as a backend plugin in Myth.)
>
> >>  I know that
> >> MythStream exists (I never tried it),
>
> MythStream - plugin to play Internet radio/video stream
> MythStreamTV - code to play recordings (and TTBOMK, doesn't work with
> MythMusic/MythVideo content) over the Internet
>
> >>  but I thought that MythTv can do
> >> it with its "official" plugins.
> > I could do this only by exporting the music and video directory via nfs.
>
> Because that's the only way to do it.  :)

I hoped that I will not get this answer :-). Although I was pretty
sure that I did no see anything like that in menus.

But this description from the wiki brought me to the idea that Myth
also streams content from mythmusic and mythvideo:

"UPnP AV MediaServers is where you store and share your media
(pictures/videos/audio/music) from. So you can share MythTV media
files to any UPnP-client..."

pictures, videos, audio?

Mythfrontend wants to connect to the UPnP ("AV Media Center") when I
start it, so I thought that Mythfrontend behaves like a UPnP client
and it is able to play all the content from the backend box. I forgot
the fact that MythVideo is a frontend plugin and it's content has
nothing to do with the backend content (recordings).

So altogether, MythTv is not able to stream anything else than
recordings? And the description from the wiki about "you can share
MythTv media files" is only talking about recordings (because
everything else is part of frontend plugins)?

M.