[mythtv-users] Mythtv on FC6 -> Fedora7 Upgrade

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Nov 11 12:10:50 UTC 2007

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 07:42:43PM +1000, Christian Hack wrote:
> [...]

More users to persuade mythdora crafters to go that route :)

Just start by installing CentOS and on top of it ATrpms' mythtv/ivtv
etc packages for RHEL5. Next join the mythdora list to offer yourself
as a guinea pig for a CentOS based mythdora.

> Why is Fedora better than CentOS then (or why was it chosen for
> Mythdora)?

The main reason is that there are far more Fedora users in the myth
community than CentOS. But that's wrong, the PVR community should be
more conservative, e.g. have less often to fully upgrade systems.

> Is it simply because the whole distribution is upgraded more often
> catering for newer hardware etc?

If we want to lay down pros and cons:

Fedora pros:
 o larger community - more likely to get help
 o latest kernel (actually that's probably more a con, but some want
   the latest and greatest).
 o established mythtv platform, tons of docu

Fedora cons:
 o kernel changes too often, capture drivers break quite often with new kernels
 o need to fully upgrade every 12 months, very frequent kernel
   upgrades within the distro (every 1-2 weeks).

RHEL/CentOS/SL pros:
 o very litte updating is happening, mainly for security updates
 o long lifetime, in theory 7 years, although many will replace their
   PVR system until then.

RHEL/CentOS/SL cons:
 o not the latest kernels, so not the latest drivers
 o very little capture card support by vendor

The capture card support in CentOS can be done with external kmdls
(ivtv and v4l), which makes this part a bit less critical.

In general my recommendation is:

 o pure PVR system with little non-PVR activity => RHEL/CentOS/SL
 o general purpose system which does PVR stuff among other => Fedora

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net